Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Food is good.

Being pregnant food is very important!! I am not having very healthy cravings (fried foods for example) and I am not eating the greatest for my meals. 
I remember back when I was pregnant with Toby I craved red meat and eggs. So for every meal I ate either eggs or some sort of red meat and vegetables. I also walked everyday for the last few months of my pregnancy. I was feeling great by the time my due date came along. Well with this one I eat in a cafeteria every lunch and dinner. There might be a selection of food but how healthy are my options? Are the veggies I am eating even good for me? Where did the meat I am eating actually come from? I have been feeling gross lately and like I wish I could just go back to eating meat and vegetables that I cook every night for dinner. With our money situation we are not able to do lots of grocery shopping to be able to do that so I just have to try and be creative in the cafeteria. 
However, Tuesdays (today) for lunch Brian meets with one of his RA's over lunch and Toby and I usually will eat with a student or friend or someone but today we had nothing planned. So I looked through my kitchen and came up with a pretty decent meal for what I had. I found some beef in the freezer and I had noodles and spaghetti sauce, garlic bread and some broccoli. So I made some spaghetti with meat sauce and had broccoli and garlic bread. My mom would be so proud of me when she hears that I cooked the broccoli and I ate it! I hate cooked broccoli unless it is mixed in with lots of other things! Today I cooked and ate it just as it was! Toby even had broccoli mixed in with his spaghetti and he had grapes! I am feeling good about our eating today. While it isn't the BEST we could eat it was the best we had at home! And for dinner - we are going to the cafeteria.......

Any suggestions on fast, cheap, healthy meals? I am all ears! 

4 comments:

April Emery said...

we have this veggie soup in the winter a lot. it costs like $3.00 if you get the cheapest ingredients. can't beat that! and it lasts for more than one meal, unless you guys really like soup. :) check out the rest of my food blog and see what you find on there. i have others i need to dig up and share with you. i am all about tasty food that doesn't take long or kill my pocketbook.

http://emerypantry.blogspot.com/2008/02/quick-easy-vegetable-soup.html

Michelle said...

It's so hard to do cheap AND fresh! We eat a lot of potatoes, pasta and eggs - and now that it's winter I can make hamburger soup and potato soup with veggies :) I have been experimenting with fresh spinach lately - canned tomatoes and wilted spinach with garlic and spaghetti is pretty good and cheap, also made a spinach alfredo pizza. The fresh stuff is like 1.99 a bag here and lasts me 3-4 recipes :)

I also buy mostly frozen veggies, when they go on sale I buy like 10 bags!! Ppl look at me funny but hey, when you have a budget... :) It's so hard to eat healthy when your little girl is craving salt and fried food!! haha!!!

Michelle said...

PS - Do you ever make "goodwiches" anymore??! Those were tasty!!!! :)

Jensens said...

Thanks for the ideas guys! I haven't made the goodwiches in a while. I actually forgot about those! Thanks for the reminder. Oh and your hamburger soup, YUM! April, I am totally checking out your food blog! I need to also just always have frozen veggies of all kinds on hand. I am bad at that.

you guys rock!!