Friday, September 26, 2008

The bathroom

I realized today how great it is to just go to the bathroom when you need to go. Not worrying that you aren't allowed to!! 
I had my ultrasound today and I had to drink 32 oz. an hour before my appointment and then not pee until after the ultrasound. This is SO hard!! Before we left the house I had to go extremely bad! I couldn't stand or walk b/c that made it harder to hold. We got to the doctor's office 10 mins early for my 12:45 appointment thinking hey if we are there and they are ready let's get started!! Well they didn't think that way. I keep seeing nurses walking by or standing in the back talking and let me tell you I was getting mad! I had Brian go up and ask how much longer it would be (again b/c I couldn't stand up) and they said 2 mins but if I wanted to empty my bladder a little that would be fine. Well at that point I needed something so I agreed to that even though my question was "how do you make it stop when you want to just let it all out?!?!" So I emptied a little bit and tried to stop but it never fully stopped. I kept a constant little stream of pee going.  So having no idea what to do I grabbed a big wad of toilet paper and stopped it that way. I held it there until I stood and knew no more would come out. Then I found my seat next to Brian in the waiting room again and waited. waited and waited and waited . 2 mins - yeah right!! by the time they finally called me back to the ultrasound room it was 1:05 (actually 1:06 or 1:07 but I'll round a little) It should be illegal for doctors offices to make a pregnant lady drink that much water so long before the appointment and then make her wait 20 mins longer in the waiting room!! Oh and I found out one of the nurses I saw talking in the back was the lady who did my ultrasound...... grrr!! 
So whenever you feel the urge to go to the bathroom, I encourage you to just go and be thankful that you don't have to wait to let it all out! I also want to say a big thank you to my doctor's office in MN where I had my ultrasound with Toby. I didn't have to wait in the waiting room at all! They know how to take care of pregnant women who have to pee!! :) 

Oh and I guess this is important too..... we are having a GIRL!! :) I will put a picture of our baby girl on soon!

6 comments:

The Hawk's Nest said...

Yay, a girl! Congratulations!

April Emery said...

HOOOOOORAY! I was secretly hoping for a girl for you guys! You will love having a little girl! Now Abigail will have a friend!

I am so there with you on the bathroom thing. It is the cruelest trick that could be played on a pregnant woman. I was never so glad to use the bathroom than after my ultrasounds. Geeeeze!

I am so happy for you guys! Can't wait to see the photos! How many did you buy (grin)?

Natalie said...

Man does life go by FAST! Where are you guys living now? I totally feel ya on the wait and bathroom story.. some people. Yay for Girls!

ANITA said...

Here's another cruel twist: With my first child I only had one ultrasound and I had a similar experience with the discomfort of having to go really bad. With my second, I had a first ultrasound and was instructed again of the fill your bladder requirement. Then a second ultrasound was ordered but at a different facility. I drank the (seems like) gallons water again. I'm sitting in the waiting area dancing in my seat wondering why aren't the other pregnant ladies looking as uncomfortable as I am and what is taking so long! I finally get in the exam room and make a comment about really having to go and the technician goes, "Oh you don't have to have a full bladder here." I had just assumed I had to have a full bladder and for whatever reason (better machines? different kind of ultrasound?) I didn't! All that for nothing!! I was much happier after finally using the bathroom :)

Tabitha --As For Me and My House We Will Serve the Lord said...

That is sooo uncomfortable Sara. Sorry to hear you had to go through that.

She's a Girl !!! How exciting- can't wait to see the picture !

Jenine said...

Its been a while and I knew it was a girl.. but I cannot believe it has been that long!! Crazy